As the Red Cross continues to respond to the Camp Fire disaster in Butte County, we want to make sure you have the items you need close at hand should you have to evacuate.
Preparation is important!
Listen to local area radio stations, watch local TV news, and check your city and county websites for the latest wildfire information. Check every 30 minutes to get the latest weather updates and emergency instructions.
Back your car into the garage or park it in an open space facing your direction of escape.
Arrange for temporary housing at a friend or relative’s home outside the threatened area.
Identify nearby shelter sites and review directions to get there.
Keep your pets in one room so you can find them quickly if you have to evacuate.
Keep your indoor air clean. Close windows and doors to prevent the smoke outside from getting in your home.
Stock up on N-95 air respirator masks to help block smoke particles.
Review the Emergency Kit List below to ensure you have everything you need should you have to evacuate your home in an emergency.
Once you build your emergency kit, it can be helpful to keep it in your car so it’s with you when you evacuate.
- Water: one gallon per person, per day (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
- Food: non-perishable, easy-to-prepare items (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home).
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Medications (7-day supply) and medical items
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family and emergency contact information
- Extra cash
- Emergency blanket
- Map(s) of the area
Consider the needs of all family members and add supplies to your kit, as needed.
- Medical supplies (hearing aids with extra batteries, glasses, contact lenses, syringes, etc.)
- Baby supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers)
- Games and activities for children
- Pet supplies (collar, leash, ID, food, carrier, bowl)
- Two-way radios
- Extra set of car keys and house keys
- Manual can opener