With many service members and veterans separated from their families the holiday season due to deployments and hospital stays, the American Red Cross Holiday Mail for Heroes (HMFH) program empowers people to “Give Something That Means Something” by sending a card of thanks and support to the members of the Armed Forces, veterans and their families.
This year, the American Red Cross Gold Country Region is once again participating in the Holiday Mail for Heroes program. The program gives organizations, companies, schools, and individuals the opportunity to honor our local service members and veterans by sending cards filled with holiday wishes, encouragement, and thanks during the holiday season.
Collected cards will be distributed to local military and veterans facilities throughout our region during the month of December.
If you are interested in participating, please keep these guidelines in mind:
- Create your own cards by hand, or use cards you may have on hand or purchased
- Use generic titles in your message, beginning cards with “Dear Service Member, Veteran, or Military Family”
- Do not use cards with glitter as some cards will be distributed to hospitals where glitter may interfere or aggravate existing health issues.
- We ask that you not include your personal contact information, or enclose any items with the holiday cards
- Consider writing heartfelt, meaningful messages as you sign your cards, and encourage a “quality over quantity” approach to cards this year.
We are also partnering with local companies and creating holiday banners so their employees can write special holiday messages on the banner.
The banners will be delivered to military units within our region.
Please also reach out to us before planning your activity so we can provide further information and guidance.
All cards should be sent or delivered to the American Red Cross Gold Country Region:
Attention: Tobrin Hewitt
1565 Exposition Blvd,
Sacramento, CA 95815
Cards can be sent to us now through December 4th.
For more information, please contact Tobrin Hewitt @ Tobrin.Hewitt@redcross.org