15th Annual Heroes Awards Luncheon
Inspiring Stories of Kindness and Courage
Friday January, 22, 2016 – 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Woodland Community Center
The Annual Red Cross Hero Recognition events are always a great way to kick off a brand new year. Recognizing the goodness of people in our community motivates us and we want to continue to inspire our communities.
Join us this coming Friday, January 22 as we will gather to honor community members from El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento and Yolo Counties who have performed extraordinary acts of courage.
As you might remember, this annual event pays special tribute to local everyday heroes who have gone above and beyond, performing heroic acts and rising to the occasion to help those in need. This year’s honorees were nominated by members of the community for such selfless deeds as saving lives, performing First Aid/CPR, providing support to military veterans, and much more. Here are the names of the people we will be recognizing this year and what they did to deserve such praise.
Adult Good Samaritan
- Dennis Dwyre, Eric Paulson (Davis) – Dennis and Eric prevented a tragedy during a basketball game they were getting ready to play. They performed CPR to save the life of a fellow teammate.
- Ivan Romero, Jr (Roseville) – Mr. Romero witnessed an accident which caused a vehicle to explode into flames, but Mr. Romero’s quick actions helped save the life of a woman from the burning vehicle.
- Hector Alvarez (Folsom) – Reserve Police Officer pulled a driver from an engulfed vehicle when on-duty.
- Paul Grenier, Kevin Shepherd, Tom Borghese (Rocklin Police Dept)- Chelsea Johnson, Natalie Donaldson (AMR) – Steven Reynolds (Neighbor) (Rocklin) – Working as a team they helped a Rocklin citizen return to life after he had suffered cardiac arrest.
- Scott Gallegos (Elk Grove) – Scott put his own life on the line during a gun fight, rescuing a woman from flying bullets and taking care of her immediate needs.
Child Good Samaritan
- Cooper Cochran (Yolo) – A young cancer survivor who donated super hero capes to other children battling cancer with the message “Be Brave.”
- Amy Parkko (Garden Valley) – Rescued a missing dog, helped him receive medical treatment after a traffic injury and helped reunite the miniature Australian Shepard with his family in Oregon.
- Jeff Wolford and Stanislaus Wiecek (Yolo) – Rescued four horses and two burros from the flames of the Valley wildfire.
Spirit of the Red Cross
- UC Davis Firefighters Burn Institute (Sacramento) – The entire team is recognized for their care and treatment of the brave men and women who fought the Butte and Valley fires.
- Theresa Ramos (Sacramento) – After being held hostage at gun-point, Theresa and two of her friends escaped by using a Taser gun on their captor.
American Red Cross Volunteer Hero
- Jeremiah Norrell (Placerville) –Jeremiah became a volunteer in late 2014. Since then, he has completed over 50 online and classroom training courses which have equipped him to serve the Disaster Action Team. With the new knowledge he served as Shelter Manager during the Butte Fire in September. Every day, he looks forward to growing even more in his service to others.
Large Business Hero
- Nugget Markets – Whenever our Region is struck by a large disaster, Nugget Market is among the first to step forward and help by donating cash, food for shelters or supplies. Nugget has also donated pallets of water, gift baskets for events and food for military send-off events.
Small Business Hero
- DH Construction – a longtime supporter of the Red Cross in our Region, DH Construction makes donations on behalf of their employees, provide comfort kits to families who lose their homes in a fire, and support our special events.
Event Master of Ceremonies is CBS13 Anchor Sam Shane.
Proceeds from the luncheon will support the critical disaster relief services provided by the American Red Cross Gold Country Region as well as critical Red Cross training programs which help prepare our community members to respond in times of emergency.
Get your tickets today to help us cheer them: http://bit.ly/RedCrossHeroesLuncheon.
Deadline to purchase tickets is January 15.
As always we’re extra thankful for our event sponsors: AMR, The Daily Democrat, The Kohlmeier Family, Nugget Markets, Pacific Gas & Electric Company, Walmart and Wells Fargo.