National EMS Week, May 17-23, 2015, is the perfect time to honor our local EMS professionals and promote awareness of their everyday service to the public. Here at the American Red Cross we partner with EMS professionals and together we are the first to arrive on the scene of a house fire, flood, or any other disaster.
During this coming week, we’d like to honor our local emergency service providers and thank them for their selfless acts of daily heroism.
Did you know:
EMS is an intricate system, and each component of this system has an essential role to perform as part of a coordinated and seamless system of emergency medical care. An EMS system comprises all of the following components:
- Agencies and organizations (both private and public)
- Communications and transportation networks
- Trauma systems, hospitals, trauma centers, and specialty care centers
- Rehabilitation facilities
- Highly trained professionals
- Volunteer and career prehospital personnel
- Physicians, nurses, and therapists
- Administrators and government officials
- An informed public that knows what to do in a medical emergency